Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Tale of Two Soups

Gazpacho
As summer reluctantly fades into fall, change is in the air. Weather patterns aside, I have started noticing a change in the available produce in the many New York farmer's markets. I have long had a torrid love affair with the tomato, one that will soon and most unfortunately end for the year. Not one to settle for the artificial redness of the gassed grocery store variety I am savoring these last few days. I was informed by a vendor in Union Square that I have, at the most optimistic estimate, three weeks to enjoy this delectable little fruit. My latest bout of tomato worship came in the form of a peach and tomato gazpacho with fresh mint. I also realize I have little time left for chilled soup. In preparation for the impending cold, and as homage to my Polish neighbors I made borscht made from beets from McCarren Park farmer's market and a little Zywiec for flavor. Who doesn't love food prepared with beer?
Borscht

No comments:

Post a Comment